Wednesday, October 19, 2005

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY: AND Today's Quote Of The Day



1781 - British General Charles Lord Cornwallis surrendered to U.S. General George Washington at Yorktown, Virginia. It was to be the last major battle of the American Revolutionary War. JUST THOUGHT YOU'D LIKE TO KNOW. NOW YOU CAN ALSO KNOW THE TRUTH.

"The World Turned Upside Down"

General Cornwallis did not attend the surrender ceremony saying that he was not feeling well. His substitute, General O'Hara, first tried to surrender to the Comte de Rochambeau who directed the British officer to General Washington who in turn directed him to Washington's subordinate General Lincoln. During the ceremony a British band played the song "The World Turned Upside Down." Dr. James Thacher served with the Continental Army and published his account of the surrender some years later:


TQ
I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good. That's just the way it is. And if you believe that and live by it, you'd be surprised at how much fun you can have.
Woody Hayes

4 comments:

Mickey said...

I have been to Yorktown, Va

Al said...

i've been there too!! none of this is new to me!! JUST THOUGHT YOU"D LIKE TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobby said...

I was in disputanta once

donna said...

I have very fond memories of my most recent trip to Yorktown. It was almost 2 years ago!